In addition to looking for people who are interested in volunteering with the Garden on a one-time or an ongoing basis, we’re also looking for people to join Maloca’s Steering Committee. We’ll be hosting elections in the Spring, so keep these positions in mind (or pass e’m along to a friend!). Please be advised that joining the Steering Committee is a year-long commitment, but responsibilities will vary throughout the Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter season, with March – September being the busiest times. Students from outside of the Faculty of Environmental Studies are also encouraged to apply!
A Garden Coordinator is expected to provide leadership and be available throughout the Spring and Summer on (at least!) a weekly basis. However, a position like the Communications Coordinator is more flexible, and could be done at a distance from York University. If you have any questions or concerns about any of the positions, please leave a comment or contact us via e-mail.
A. Role and Responsibilities of the Garden Coordinators (2)
1. The Coordinators shall ensure that the Garden follows the rules and regulations outlined in the Presidential Regulations and other University policies and procedures.
2. The Coordinators must organize all Steering Committee meetings.
3. The Coordinators must coordinate each member’s role so the Garden functions smoothly and accomplishes its short-, medium-, and long-term objectives.
4. The Coordinators will have access to the funds of the Garden, but the Treasurer must approve all of his or her actions.
5. The Coordinators must manage the e-mail listserv, keep all members informed about upcoming workdays or other such special events and respond to any inquiries.
6. The Coordinators have signing authority along with the Treasurer.
B. Role and Responsibilities of the Treasurer
1. The Treasurer must balance the Garden’s funds.
2. The Treasurer is the only officer allowed to allocate money to pay Garden debts or expenses.
3. The Treasurer is responsible for the collection of fees.
4. The Treasurer is responsible for the submission and follow-through on all fund requests.
5. The Treasurer is responsible for keeping accurate and timely records of all transactions.
6. The Treasurer has signing authority along with the Coordinators.
C. Role and Responsibilities of the Community and Student Engagement Officer (Communications Officer)
1. The Community and Student Engagement Officer will be responsible for updating the WordPress blog and Facebook page and managing other on-campus promotion and advertising in order to invite participation.
2. The Community and Student Engagement Officer will coordinate work-related and social events.
3. The Community and Student Engagement Officer must assist the Garden Coordinators with managing the e-mail listserv and responding to any inquiries.
4. The Community and Student Engagement Officer will keep an eye out for additional publicity opportunities (i.e. York’s alumni magazines and newspapers, website, YorkFest, FES orientation events, departmental listserv).
D. Role and Responsibilities of the University Relations Representative
1. The University Relations Representative will communicate regularly with University offices in order to address any issues, make requests and maintain a positive relationship.
2. The University Relations Representative will generally act towards maintaining the Garden’s reputation with those who maintain the Keele Campus grounds and affect our ability to garden.
3. The University Relations Representative will also liaise with off campus bodies such as FoodShare’s Good Food Markets, Toronto Community Gardening Network (TCGN), North York Harvest Food Bank, Jane/Finch Community and Family Centre and nearby schools for possible co-initiatives that may be of interest to the Garden.
E. Role and Responsibilities of the Secretary
1. The Secretary is responsible for taking minutes at all Steering Committee meetings and distributing them via e-mail.
2. The Secretary is responsible for taking minutes at all Annual General Meetings and distributing them via e-mail.
3. The Secretary is responsible for creating and updating a Garden directory.
We also appoint a Community Representative. This position is reserved for a Maloca gardener who resides in the community. This individual acts as a liaison between Maloca’s gardeners and the Steering Committee and provides some stability as the Steering Committee changes from year-to-year.