Thank you to everyone who came to the seed planting workshop!
The pictures are now up on the flickr page – check them out using the link on the lefthand side of the blog!
Below is a list of what we planted and a bit about each variety.
- A standard Eggplant with dark purple skin
- A standard leek that will be ready after that first frost – a long growing season but well worth it!
- A standard while bulbing onion – we’ll harvest these late in the season
- We’ll be planting these in succession over the course of the season – the first ones should be ready in a couple of months.
Big Flesh Brandywine
- These are seeds we saved from last year. They are large tomatoes, with a pink skin and red flesh.
- We grew a couple of these last year. They are a medium sized tomato with purple skin.
- A very prolific producer last year. This is a cherry tomato, that is yellow and pear-shaped.
- New to Maloca this year. A pink variety that promises to have a great flavour.
- Also new to Maloca. This promises to be prolific and have great flavour.
Standard Tomato – Glamour
- Another new variety that will produce all purpose tomatoes that are medium to large, with good taste, and crack resistant.
- Picked up at the Seedy Saturday seed swap. It promises to have orange fruit and can keep for up to a couple months after harvest.
- Also picked up at the Seedy Saturday seed swap. Nothing known other the name.
- The third variety from the seed swap. This one is meant to be an early variety.
Polish Linguisa Paste Tomato
- New to Maloca. This tomato is great for sauces with a long narrow fleshy fruit.
Principe Borghese Tomato
- Mew to Maloca. This tomato is great for sauce, paste and drying, with smaller fruit and the promise of being prolific.
Maloca Tomato Medley – saved by Katie
- A mix of all the tomato varieties grown by Maloca last year – including: Green Zebra (yellow and green stripes), Yellow Pear (small), Black Seaman (medium), Mountain Princess (red/orange, early), Brandywine (pink), Lime Salad (green), Speckled Roma (paste), Tigerella (red with orange stripes), Cherokee Purple, Peasants Paste (red paste), Druzba, White Queen (white, medium), Matt’s Wild Cherry Tomato, Black Cherry (purple), Costoluto (large red), Peacevine (cherry), Blondkopfchen (yellow cherry), and Perisimmon (large orange)